Dishware is the general term for the dishes used in serving, and eating food, including plates and bowls. Dinnerware is a synonym, especially meaning a set of dishes, including serving pieces.
The broader term Tableware includes dishes, cutlery, and drinking vessels. Flatware refers to plates and cutlery. Hollowware refers to containers like bowls and pitchers, especially if made of metal.
In British English the term crockery is used.
Types of dishes
- Plates, such as dinner plates, salad plates, or bread plates
- Bowls, including soup bowls, cereal bowls, or dessert bowls
- Teacups, saucers and mugs
- Sugar bowl and creamer
- Serving dishes, including platters, salvers, and trays
- Ice cream plate used at the White House during the Hayes administration.